Solstice Sun Cookies
The longest day of the year and the first official day of summer feels like a reason to celebrate. The added touch of an edible flower to a drink or a cookie, and an herbal twist to any recipe makes something ordinary become instantly special. And since we could all use more beauty and enchantment in our busy lives, why not make both?
Lemon Turmeric Shortbread Cookies
A classic shortbread cookie with a bright herbal twist for solstice sun celebrations.
Makes 24 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- zest from two lemons
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp turmeric power
- Beat butter, sugar, zest and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and stir just until blended.
- Mix together flour and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix just until blended.
- Divide dough in half and roll into cylinders. Cover and place in refrigerator for two hours or up to two days.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Remove dough from fridge and unwrap. Slice into 24 circles and place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 or until just starting to turn golden brown around the edges. Remove and press edible flowers or herbs immediately onto the cookie so they have time to set while cooling.
Comments will be approved before showing up.