Cooked low and sluggish, this flavour-packed pork falls aside in your fork! Pile it atop the crunchy slaw for fabulously filling Far Jap feast – or stuff into tender bao buns for the right barely candy and evenly spiced chunk.
Slimming World bao in a bowl
8 Syns per serving
prepared in 3½ hours
Tip: This dish is Free with out the bao buns. Slimming World members can use the barcode scanner on the app or the Meals Search device on the web site to search for bao bun Syns.
What you want:
6 onions, halved or quartered
1 bulb of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
5cm piece recent root ginger, peeled and sliced
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 tsp Chinese language five-spice powder*
1.5kg lean pork shoulder, seen fats eliminated
4 tbsp mild soy sauce
12 shop-bought bao buns, to serve (non-compulsory – see tip)
sliced spring onions, to serve
For the slaw:
1 giant carrot, shredded
1 cucumber, finely shredded
1 pink onion, thinly sliced
½ small inexperienced cabbage, cored and finely shredded
juice of two lemons
For the sauce:
4 tbsp oyster sauce
1-2 tsp Chinese language five-spice powder*
*Be careful for spice/seasoning blends which have added substances (like sugar, oil or starch). To shield your weight reduction, rely ½ Syn per degree tsp/1½ Syns per degree tbsp.
What you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/fuel 3.
2. Prepare the onions, garlic, ginger, star anise and cinnamon stick in a single layer in a non-stick roasting tin. Rub the five-spice everywhere in the pork, season evenly and put the pork on prime of the onions.
3. Pour the soy sauce across the pork and canopy the tin with baking paper after which foil. Roast for 2½ hours, then take away the foil and paper and roast for an additional 45 minutes.
4. Whereas that’s within the oven, make the slaw. Toss all of the substances collectively in a bowl, season evenly and chill till able to serve.
5. For the sauce, put all of the substances in a small non-stick saucepan and produce to the boil. Cut back to a light simmer and cook dinner for 10-Quarter-hour, stirring typically, till thickened and shiny. Take away from the warmth and put aside to chill.
6. Discard the onions, garlic and spices and shred the pork utilizing 2 forks. Pile the meat onto a platter.
7. Serve with the bao buns, for those who’re having them, spring onions, sauce and slaw and let everybody assemble their very own fakeaway feast!
Fancy a Chinese language?
Slimming World members can unlock a full menu of Chinese language-inspired recipes on the unique members-only app and web site. Whether or not you’re craving a hen curry and egg-fried rice, or a vegetable chow mein and sesame prawn toasts, our assortment of Slimming World Chinese language recipes has your fakeaway favourites lined.