These late winter months often tease us with spring like sunshine but mostly consist of snowstorms, freezing temps, and gray skies. Our moods tend to be a little all over the place, too, leaving our bodies in confusing states. As we await the arrival of spring,
our spirits are definitely in need of some brightening, uplifting inspiration and energy!
Nourishing ourselves with good food and time spent outdoors is always helpful, but we also turn to our plant allies, whatever the weather, for mood-brightening tonics to get us through these months.
If you don’t take mood and stress support tonics regularly, it still evokes happiness to break up the routine and get creative with herbal beverages that are beautiful and inspiring and serve a purpose in supporting your mental health and overall well-being.*
Perhaps you are in the mood for a support energy levels and boost stamina or a joyful, mood-brightening spritzer; whatever the occasion, these drinks are perfect for this time of year.*
Kombucha Joy Tonic Sparklers
- ½ cup favorite kombucha flavor- we used Schisandra & rose!
- 1 tablespoon Urban Moonshine Joy Tonic
- Squeeze of Lemon
- Rose and Schisandra Sugar for cup rim
- Ice if desired
Wet the rim of the glass by dipping in water first and then into the powder mix. Combine all ingredients into a glass, and enjoy in bliss.
To make Rose and Schisandra Sugar:combine 1 tablespoon of each herb (powdered) and add 1 tablespoon sugar. Mix well.
A Rosy Reishi Mocha
- 1 tsp rhodiola tincture or powder
- 1 tsp reishi powder
- 5 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or to your taste
- Dash of rosewater or vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 shot of espresso- if you need the kick!
- ½ tsp Urban Moonshine Immune Tonic
Add powders, maple syrup, and rosewater into a small saucepan. Pour almond milk into the pan and bring to a simmer. Use a whisk or milk frother to blend well and heat to the desired temp. Add in a shot of espresso or dash of coffee if you want the extra kick and the Immune Tonic. Enjoy warm or cold over ice.
Citrus Energy Spritzer
An energizing and grounding drink for the day ahead.
- 1/2 cup of citrus juice: we used blood orange, carrot juice, and ginger juice- freshly made.
- 2 teaspoon hibiscus + ginger syrup, or syrup of some kind. Elderberry would work here too. (see the recipe for syrup making below)
- 1 tablespoon Urban Moonshine Energy Tonic
- Seltzer water
- Lemon/ orange slices for garnish
Prepare your juice of choice in a cup. Add the syrup and Energy Tonic to the cup and top off with sparkling water. Serve with a garnish and enjoy!
Lemon Bitter Sparkler
A spicy and bitter beverage that ignites warmth to the body on cold days. A morning favorite as we desire gentle detoxification as we transition to spring.
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/4th tsp Citrus Digestive Bitters
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sparkling or mineral water
Mix the raw honey and lemon juice in a glass, stirring well. Add in the digestive bitters and cayenne pepper.
Top with sparkling water and ice if desired. Cheers to good health!
Make Your Own Herbal Syrup
This ratio can be used for any herbal syrup; simply substitute the herbal ingredients with the ones of your choice.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups honey
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers or and minced ginger root.
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Combine all ingredients except the lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally. Add the lemon juice. Remove from heat. Let the mixture steep for 30 minutes. Strain and let stand at room temperature until cool.
The syrup will keep for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator and is perfect for drinks, smoothies, ice cream/ desserts!
Upated February 2021
Comments will be approved before showing up.